Bordeaux Yvrac Aéro-Club
The club's Cessna 172R Skyhawk on the ground, backlit
Our history

Nearly 90 years of light aviation at Yvrac

From a farm field spotted from the air in 1937 to the members' club of today, a story of enthusiasm and persistence — the one our instructors pass on with every flight.

  1. 1937

    The founding

    Flying with Monsieur Leroy, Dr Seynat spots a promising farm field at Yvrac. A lease is agreed with its owner, Monsieur Mackertich, and the airfield is born, with a first grass strip of 600 metres running north to south.

  2. 1939 – 1945

    The Occupation

    Strategically close to Bordeaux, the airfield is requisitioned by German forces, who build a bunker and machine-gun emplacements. The site only formally returns to private ownership in September 1948.

  3. 1946

    Starting again after the war

    Henri Laforgue — a decorated First World War pilot (military pilot's licence no. 255) and former prisoner of war — takes over as chairman. Flying resumes on a shortened 450-metre strip, with very little money.

  4. 1951

    Rebuilding the airfield

    The runway is realigned on the 29/11 axis, and a hangar of 40 by 20 metres is built with the help of military parachutists.

  5. 14 November 1954

    The official opening

    The association takes the name Bordeaux Yvrac Aéro-Club, with Jacques Chaban-Delmas — mayor of Bordeaux and transport minister — as honorary chairman. Dr Seynat declares: “This airfield, less than ten kilometres from the centre of Bordeaux, holds exceptional promise for light aviation in the region.”

  6. 2013

    A brand new clubhouse

    On 6 December 2013 the BYAC opens a completely rebuilt clubhouse, with a panoramic room looking out over the whole runway.

  7. Today

    The story continues

    Nearly 90 years after it began, the BYAC carries on with the same purpose: training pilots, passing on a love of flying, and keeping light aviation alive on the edge of Bordeaux.